TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - If all the alignment specs are correct and you like >
People Seeking Info

Subject If all the alignment specs are correct and you like >

Posted by ZUL8TR on April 11, 2015 at 5:58 AM
  This message has been viewed 339 times.

In Reply To i held wheel straight in the car while they did it posted by Drk93TT on April 09, 2015 at 12:41 PM

Message the way it drives, the tie rods are nearly equal length as ttz'in states, and all tires pressured correctly especially on same axel, and align done but if going down a nearly level road the car does NOT wander left or right but the wheel is still not centered then you can simply have the tie rod ends both rotated in the same twist direction depending on which way the wheel is off center. This keeps the toe the same but re-centers the wheel. Simple fix see example below.

Probably what is happening is on the level align rack, tires pressured correct wheel center conditions change when driven on not so perfect road conditions.

Tell us the shop checked and adjusted the tire pressure, they sometimes forget this, bad. Plus how level is the rack, for camber adj how much lateral runout on your rims - there is some rim runout and other small things that affects what happens on the real road.

I do my own alignment and do the steering centering as noted above.

Example: all suspension parts are OK, toe set correct, tires pressured correct, drive car no drift, Great but wheel off center somewhat to a left turn (i.e. not 9 - 3 clock position but say 8 - 2 position). Fix is to rotate both tie rod threaded shafts in the same twist direction such that both tires move the same to the LEFT (in this ex.), remaining parallel and then the toe is unchanged. This to LEFT adj will require that you move wheel to RIGHT when driven thus getting to center. I just estimate the twist and drive it, usually get it 1st time.

To imagine the tie rod threaded rod twist hold up your hands to eye level, palms facing away, make fist and rotate wrist so fist goes away from you or towards you, that is the motion the tie rods are receiving when under the car looking up at the steering rack. This keeps the toe the same as wheels move left or right parallel keeping the toe the same.

ZUL8TR in Orlando,FL

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.